Egypt: Conscientious objector released
Maikel Nabil Sanad exempted from military service
(14.11.2010) War Resisters’ International is glad to inform that Egypt conscientious objector Maikel Nabil Sanad has been released and exempted from military service earlier today. He had been arrested by military intelligence on Friday.
The Military Intelligence visited his parents in Assuit (upper Egypt) November 12, and told his father that Maikel should go to them and sign a paper to say that he will join the Army in April 2011, his father said that he was no longer live there, and then they left. A few hours later they went to the home of Maikel in Ain Shames in Cairo and arrested him. They took him without even giving him the chance to change his clothes, with his bare feet.
Maikel Nabil Sanad wrote about his experience: "On Friday evening, some strange men kidnapped me from my house in Cairo. They didn’t tell me who they were, they didn’t show me any official papers, they humiliated me in front of all my neighbors. They took me to the military intelligence office, and let me sleep the whole night there. In the morning, they took me to a recruiting centre, where the did a lot of medical examinations, and finally gave me an exemption from military service because of medical reasons. Then they let me go free. Now, I should report to Assiut in the next week to receive my official exemption papers. After that I’ll be a free man, I’ll not suffer any problems due to my pacifist ideas."
While this does not amount to a recognition of the conscientious objection of Maikel Nabil Sanad, it at least means that he will not be prosecuted for his conscientious objection.
War Resisters’ International wishes to thank everybody who acted in support of Maikel Nabil Sanad.
War Resisters’ International, Abstract of two eMails, November 14, 2010